With the help of Laura Bumgarner and my Dad, I was able to pack and fit everything into my little red car. Mom and I decided to leave 3 days before I was scheduled to arrive to avoid any storms if needed. The drive went faster than expected. We drove 12 hours the first day and spent the night near Macon, Georgia.
We crossed the Florida state line at noon on Sunday 1/9/11. My experience to come was beginning to seem so real! :)
We made an unexpected detour in Gainesville to visit the University of Florida campus. It was so breathtaking. While we were exploring, we noticed the gates to the football field were open. I couldn't resist a quick look at the land of Tim Tebow, and I knew my brothers would be jealous.
My mom snapped a few photos and said...
"You know, if your dad was here he would be ON that field"
Having a little bit of Gilbert (Gina) within me, before I knew it...I ran down the bleachers, hopped a gate with a sign saying "KEEP OFF THE GRASS" and well.... I believe this picture says it all.
Watch out Tim Tebow, CARLY JOEHL has arrived!
And I don't know how it happend, but this quick "stop" turned into UF bookstore/Mall/Chinese food/Forever21/Starbucks...It's a good thing we left 3 days early, because we didnt make it to Disney World until dark.
Yes, driving 1094.7 miles was worth it to be able to be in the "Happiest Place on Earth"! AHHHHHHH.
Monday equaled our day of REST. Laying out by the pool in 75 degree weather while my brother Jansen was snowed in...I hafta admit...it felt pretty good!
I did NOT sleep well Monday night. The anticipation was KILLING ME. BAHHH.
WHO IS MY ROOMMATE?
WHAT WILL I WEAR?
WHO WILL BE MY FRIENDS?
WHAT IF THEY MEANT CARLA JOEHO FROM ILLINOIS?
I dunno..but so many thoughts were going through my head! I think I may have kept mom up all night. Oh well.
Tuesday 1/11/11 FINALLY FINALLY arrived.
We did a test drive of the route the night before, so we knew we were going to the right place. However, mom just HAD to stop and get coffee which STRESSED me OUT because we arrived 2 minutes before my assigned check-in time.
BUT...if that hadn't of happened, I would not have met my roommate Allison from Kansas (whom I will be calling Kansas from here on out). We stood next to each other in line and she quickly became my first "friend". She had done the College Internship a year or so ago. So she knew a little bit about what was going on which was helpful.
After sitting through long lectures about housing, we learned that we were able to CHOOSE a roommate if we met someone earlier that day. Immediately I glanced over at Kansas and we gave eachother "the look".
I FOUND MY ROOMMATE!! yay! We live in a 3 bedroom apartment with 2 people per room. So a total of 6 girls which i will talk about later...Pennsylvania, Georgia, Miami, and New Hampshire.
I am living in an apartment complex called Cumberland Park which is about 5 minutes from Disney World. Mom calls it a resort, I just call it home.
Next I was scheduled to be at Casting where I underwent a major background check.
At 2pm that day I had a meeting with the Animal Programs department to go over more about my schedule for the week. It was so funny because EVERY time someone asked what Internship I received, I was given the same response...
"CHEMISTRY? YOU? REALLY? CHEMISTRY? WHY? CHEMISTRY? WOW. REALLY? OOOOOHHHH CHEMISTRY"
I guess it's a big deal. It kind of made me feel like the "Elle Woods" of the Chemistry department considering the only other new Chemistry Intern is a male from Puerto Rico. I also learned the Chemistry Interns are the only Interns who will be at 2 parks. (Animal Kingdom & Epcot) We also get a special "backstage parking pass" that allows us to park in magical places. I think this stuff is pretty confidential so I better stop while I'm ahead. But JUST believe me...I'm in an exclusive group! :)
At the meeting I was given my training schedule. I was pleased to find out that I had a day off on Wednesday 1/12/11 (TODAY). I'm lovin' this job already. I was able to get settled into my apartment...
and enjoy some time at Downtown Disney with my mom before she has to leave.
Tomorrow my mom flies home and I begin my training on becoming an offical Cast Member. Everything is BEYOND what I expected it to be.
I'm so ready for my Dreams to come true!
you are magical Carly along with this unbelievable experience you are about to embark on. Like the blog, just be sure to keep it updated. And if you ever meet Alan Menken let me know immediately.
ReplyDeleteCarl,I am so happy you got this blog up and running! I am so excited to see what you get into in Disney. Just remember to look Bell, and try not to beat her up for her princess crown. You will be Bell one day! :) love you and miss you!! good luck!!!!!! You will rock their WORLDS!
ReplyDeleteps. keep the HP stuff on the DL until they get to know you! hahah!
Okay, I'll admit. Mickey Mouse used to scare me, but having you there in the land of big ears and high voices makes me feel better.
ReplyDeleteReally glad you're blogging because it saves me all the gas of driving down there to see how God is working in your life. Love you...and blog on! Blog on!
kb
Wow Carles Barkley this was a good blog! Very thorough :) musta used the time turner!!!! Haha it is now an icon on my itouch that I plan on checking while at work making better drinks than you ;) have a blast! Later hermione
ReplyDeleteCarl..I am glad you passed the look. I now know that you must have showered, cleaned under your finger nails, only wore one ring on each hand, measured your hair accessories, trimmed up your sideburns and mustache, and rocked those hiking boots! Keep being great. Love you!
ReplyDelete